A new study reveals surprising insights about the impact of media images of models on men. In three different studies, Jennifer Aubrey, assistant professor of communication in the College of Arts and Science at the University of Missouri discovered that college age men were affected negatively by female images.
There have been many studies validating that media images of female models have had a negative impact on how women view their own bodies, but these latest studies show that this does not hold true for men.
According to Aubrey, men are not expected to be as attractive at their peers. They only need to be attractive enough to be sexually appealing to women.
The results are not all that surprising. Our culture tends to be more accepting of an overweight male than overweight females. We love the Fat Funny Guy, the Overweight Lover and the Cuddly Teddy Bear. However, images aside there is nothing funny or sexy about being overweight for either sex.
Risks of Obesity
Being overweight increases your risk of serious diseases such as:
- Heart Disease
- Sleep Apnea
- and so much more.
Men are often motivated to lose weight by the women in their lives (either the women they have or hope to get). So rather than beat up on ourselves about the power of female media image, let’s channel that motivation and leverage it in your weight loss efforts.
- Enlist your wife, girlfriend, or female friend in your weight loss efforts. A support system is valuable in helping you reach your goals.
- Take a healthy cooking class. Many hospitals offer free or low cost programs. Bonus: you’ll meet women and armed with your new cooking skills you can prepare a romantic low calorie dinner.
- Hit the treadmill next to a woman. Rather than avoid good looking women, share their space. What woman doesn’t love a man glistening with sweat?
- Can’t bear to throw out that bag of cookies? Tape a picture of a female model or celebrity on top of it. Let’s see how many cookies you can eat with a hot woman staring back at you?
- Already hooked up? Keep a picture with you and pull it out when you need that boost of motivation.
While this advice is delivered tongue in cheek, keep in mind that the sexiest body is one that is healthy. Your goal is not a perfect body but a healthy body. Remember that the best way to get and keep a woman is to take care of your own health.
Start losing weight today without breaking the bank using Dr. Kal’s Don’t Go Broke Diet.
Laugh and lose weight at the Laugh Out Loud Weight Loss Blog.
Return to Dr. Kal’s Weight Loss Blog Main Page
**Please consult your physician, registered dietitian, or certified fitness professional before starting or changing your diet or exercise program.**